I was inspired by aliyah's blog entry on her eid celebrations to write about my own celebrations.
This year mark my first year celebrating raya with my darling husband. It was definitely different. Too many differences in practices that I realise I have to adapt to. The first day was really tough. Really really tough. For the first time in my life, I have to celebrate first day raya away from my family. As in my parents. Usually, first day would be a day of sitting at home and waiting for guests to come. My father is the eldest son in the family, hence my aunts and uncles and cousins would definitely come over to my house on the first day. Satay is a must at my house on the first day. My father would spend much of his time to prepare the satay before the first day of raya. Usually, I would be helping out in taking out the drinks, grilling the sate and topping up the dishes etc on the first day. However, this year, I did not .. This year, I have to give and take, celebrate wif hubby's side just so that I can spend the whole of the second day with my side.( Is it gonna be this arrangement again next yr ? *shrug* )
It was definitely an experience. First time I really missed my family. It was the longest day of my life. I went out at 12+ noon and I came back at 12 midnite after visiting 5 houses. Throughout the whole day, flashbacks of my past raya celebrations ran in my head. My only consolation is the thought of the end of the day, which means the beginning of the second day - a full day with MY family. That nite, we settled our scores. After built-up frustrations with each other, we made peace and managed to catch some sleep.
Second day is really definitely more happening for us .. we went out around 11+ and we came back at 10+ and guessed how many houses we covered... 9 houses!! It was definitely less tensed and very interesting. My bro-in-law took out his walky talky so that we can communicate with each other so that we would not lose each other during the journey. It was definitely fast and swift and funny.. all in all, I enjoyed second day.
after the second day, we did go out on weekday nites to his side.. as well as my side. Then we flew off to brisbane. Hehe. Now, still got lotsa catching up to do..
Last time, with my mum, she always take the bochap attitude. Kalau ada masa, org tu ada rumah, kita gi. kalau tak sempat , tak yah gi. However, being married to a guy who has a v extensive family tree, and not being given the bochap option, it seems that me and hubby has still a lot, lot more to cover.
Whats more, ppl keep asking me the magic qn they always ask married childless couples. For goodness sake, I am only 4 months married. I give out only one egg per month. Cut me some slack,k ppl.
I foresee .. eid celebrations are gonna be more stressful in the future...

<< Home